We are excited to announce the general availability of the Sipwise C5CE and C5PRO mr4.5.12.
What is the Sipwise C5 platform?
The Sipwise C5 platform is a highly versatile open source based VoIP soft-switch for ISPs and ITSPs to serve large numbers of SIP subscribers. It leverages existing building blocks like Kamailio, Sems and Asterisk to create a feature-rich and high-performance system by glueing them together in a best-practice approach and implementing missing pieces on top of it.
Sipwise engineers have been working with Asterisk and Kamailio (and its predecessors SER and OpenSER) since 2004, and have roles on the management board of Kamailio and are contributing to these projects both in terms of patches and also financially by sponsoring development tasks. The Sipwise C5 platform is available as a Community Edition (CE), which is fully free and open source, and as a commercial PRO appliance shipped turn-key in a high availability setup.
The Sipwise C5 provides secure and feature-rich voice and video communication to end customers (voice, video, instant messaging, presence, buddy lists, file transfer, screen sharing, remote desktop control) and connect them to other SIP-, Mobile- or traditional PSTN-networks. It can therefore act as open Skype replacement system, traditional PSTN replacement, Over-The-Top (OTT) platform and also as a Session Border Controller in front of existing VoIP services in order to enable signaling encryption, IPv6 support, fraud- and Denial-of-Service prevention. Another use-case is to act as a Class4 SIP concentrator to bundle multiple SIP peerings for other VoIP services.
What’s new in mr4.5?
The most important changes for mr4.5.12 compared to mr4.4.x are:
- mr4.5 LTS release stabilization
- kamailio: upgrade to latest stable 4.4.5
- ngcp-panel: Since mr4.5.1 it’s only possible to create subscribers from within the Customer view. The global page Settings > Subscribers can be used for searching and viewing the subscribers and their preferences.
- Stale nonce workaround for asterisk (see this mailing list thread).
- Check for CLIR vertical service code (*31*) before applying callee-in rewrite rules. The code is stripped before rewriting callee in order to rewrite national number format to E.164 correctly, but as a consequence it’s not possible to re-map the *31* code via rewrite rule any more.
- faxserver – full carrier support and remote faxes queuing, faxes retain and retrieval support, various fixes and improvements.
- ngcp-sync-grants – internal ngcp component for mysql credentials and mysql grants synchronization rework.
- emergency mapping to extend the emergency_prefix handling
- configuration option for Admin Web-UI to add links to “Documentation” panel
- [PRO/Carrier] RTCEngine has been migrated from mongodb to mysql
- CDR cleanup mechanism is improved to prevent filling up the cdrexport file system
- new lawful intercept mode via a loop over a peering server
- [CE] mysql now listens on the loopback interface by default (it was socket)
- ngcp-panel: password in logs are now masked by default
- collectd: upgrade to 5.5.1-3~bpo8+1
- sems: prevent crashes on shutdown
- [Carrier] optional mysql-cluster support (ndb) for scaling registrations
See the list of all changes in PDF Changelog mr4.5.12.
What is mr4.5.12?
The build mr4.5.12 is the next build for supported LTS release mr4.5, mr4.5.12 provides bugfixes only and should be considered as a service pack for supported release.
Is mr4.5 LTS (long time supported) release?
Yes, the release mr4.5 is officially LTS release since build mr4.5.2 is announced. It will be supported till Aug 26, 2019.
Is it possible to upgrade directly from mr3.8* LTS to mr4.5.12 LTS release?
Yes, it is possible to upgrade on mr4.5.12 from mr3.8.* for all CE/PRO and Carrier products.
Is it possible to upgrade directly from 2.8 LTS to mr4.5.12 LTS release?
No, it is not possible. It is not allowed to jump over LTS releases. Upgrade from 2.8 LTS must be performed on the latest build of release mr3.8 LTS first.
How do I test-drive the new version?
- AMI ID for region us-east-1: ami-0bb6da4c73cbcfd83
- AMI ID for region us-west-2: ami-0441fabe659de8ae7
- AMI ID for region us-west-1: ami-001f27a705d817c99
- AMI ID for region eu-central-1: ami-0f1c54b9b10f0262b
- AMI ID for region eu-west-1: ami-015f6be28129d39c5
- AMI ID for region ap-southeast-1: ami-0f6db7949b678828b
- AMI ID for region ap-southeast-2: ami-0f7a7c84289655080
- AMI ID for region ap-northeast-1: ami-07a8f076d21f04445
- AMI ID for region sa-east-1: ami-05249b5ed49f07be4
Check the relevant section in the Sipwise C5 CE Handbook for detailed instructions.
How do I install the new version or upgrade from an older one?
For new users, please follow the Installation Instructions in the Handbook to set up the Sipwise C5 CE mr4.5.12 from scratch.
For the users of the previous version of Sipwise C5 CE, please follow the upgrade procedure outlined in the Handbook. If you have customized your configurations using customtt.tt2 files, you must migrate your changes to the new configuration files after the upgrade, otherwise all your calls will most certainly fail.
How can I contribute to the project?
Over the last months we’ve started to publish our software components at github.com/sipwise. This is still an on-going effort, which is done on a component-per-component basis. Please check back regularly for new projects to appear there, and feel free to fork them and send us pull requests. For development related questions, please subscribe to our SPCE-Dev Mailing-List at lists.sipwise.com/listinfo/spce-dev.
We want to thank our PRO customers and Sipwise C5 CE community for their feedback, bug reports and feature suggestions to make this release happen. We hope you enjoy using the mr4.5.12 build and keep your input coming. A big thank you also to all the developers of Kamailio, Sems and Prosody, who make it possible for us to provide an innovative and future-proof SIP/XMPP engine as the core of our platform! And last but not least a HUGE thank you to the Sipwise development team, who worked insanely hard to create this release. You are awesome!