We are excited to announce the general availability of sip:providerCE mr3.8.11 and sip:providerPRO mr3.8.11.
What’s the sip:provider platform?
The Sipwise sip:provider platform is a highly versatile open source based VoIP soft-switch for ISPs and ITSPs to serve large numbers of SIP subscribers. It leverages existing building blocks like Kamailio, Sems and Asterisk to create a feature-rich and high-performance system by glueing them together in a best-practice approach and implementing missing pieces on top of it.
Sipwise engineers have been working with Asterisk and Kamailio (and its predecessors SER and OpenSER) since 2004, and have roles on the management board of Kamailio and are contributing to these projects both in terms of patches and also financially by sponsoring development tasks. The sip:provider platform is available as a Community Edition (SPCE), which is fully free and open source, and as a commercial PRO appliance shipped turn-key in a high availability setup.
The SPCE provides secure and feature-rich voice and video communication to end customers (voice, video, instant messaging, presence, buddy lists, file transfer, screen sharing, remote desktop control) and connect them to other SIP-, Mobile- or traditional PSTN-networks. It can therefore act as open Skype replacement system, traditional PSTN replacement, Over-The-Top (OTT) platform and also as a Session Border Controller in front of existing VoIP services in order to enable signaling encryption, IPv6 support, fraud- and Denial-of-Service prevention. Another use-case is to act as a Class4 SIP concentrator to bundle multiple SIP peerings for other VoIP services.
What’s new in mr3.8.11?
The most important changes for mr3.8.11 compared to mr3.7.x are:
- Direct upgrade from 2.8 LTS to mr3.8.11 LTS is now possible
- General component stability improvements and REST API enhancements
- The RTP bridging and transport protocol (DTLS-SRTP or SDES) for rtpengine can now be configured by user preference.
- Update Redis to latest stable version 2.8.17
- Update Prosody to latest stable version 0.9.10
- Move Sipwise Debian repository from 1024bit GPG key to 4096bit key
- Improve services security (listen appropriate interfaces only)
- CloudPBX improvements and fixes for PRO/CARRIER customers with PBX module
Is mr3.8 LTS (long time supported) release?
Yes, release mr3.8 is the current LTS release. Release mr3.8 LTS is going to be supported for 3 years till May 31, 2018.
Is it possible to upgrade directly from 2.8 LTS to mr3.8 LTS release?
Yes, the procedure also takes care of updating Debian from 6.0 to 7.0. Check the relevant section in the Handbook for detailed instructions.
How do I test-drive the new version?
- AMI ID for region us-east-1: ami-eab6b791
- AMI ID for region us-west-2: ami-726e870a
- AMI ID for region us-west-1: ami-abd0e5cb
- AMI ID for region eu-central-1: ami-471bb028
- AMI ID for region eu-west-1: ami-1dc03964
- AMI ID for region ap-southeast-1: ami-870161e4
- AMI ID for region ap-southeast-2: ami-42150f21
- AMI ID for region ap-northeast-1: ami-bdfb04db
- AMI ID for region sa-east-1: ami-7ff28213
Check the relevant section in the Handbook for detailed instructions.
How do I install the new version or upgrade from an older one?
For new users, please follow the Installation Instructions in the Handbook to set up the SPCE mr3.8.11 from scratch.
For the users of the previous version of the SPCE, please follow the upgrade procedure outlined in the Handbook. If you have customized your configurations using customtt.tt2 files, you must migrate your changes to the new configuration files after the upgrade, otherwise all your calls will most certainly fail.
How can I contribute to the project?
Over the last months we’ve started to publish our software components at github.com/sipwise. This is still an on-going effort, which is done on a component-per-component basis. Please check back regularly for new projects to appear there, and feel free to fork them and send us pull requests. For development related questions, please subscribe to our SPCE-Dev Mailing-List at lists.sipwise.com/listinfo/spce-dev.
We want to thank our PRO customers and the SPCE community for their feedback, bug reports and feature suggestions to make this release happen. We hope you enjoy using the mr3.8.11 build and keep your input coming. A big thank you also to all the developers of Kamailio, Sems and Prosody, who make it possible for us to provide an innovative and future-proof SIP/XMPP engine as the core of our platform! And last but not least a HUGE thank you to the Sipwise development team, who worked insanely hard to create this release.
You are awesome!